Thursday 21 November 2013

What I thought of Thor: The Dark World


NOTE: This post has spoilers all over. Don't read if you have not seen the movie, you don't want to spoil it, I assure you.
So my present from my brother Saxon, was as I had been hoping for some time, a ticket to go and see Thor: The Dark World. Me and Saxon had joked about how they should name the next Thor film The Dark World 'Rises' and how Thor, should have been Thor Begins. :D We amuse ourselves.
Love this!
Anyways, Thor: The Dark World. Does it deserve it being the lowest rating out of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe? The answer to that is absolutely not! Seriously, it was better than Iron Man 2, probably better than Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, and it's predecessor. I'm not sure where it stands with Iron Man 3. It doesn't outrank the Avengers, though. The Avengers has its very own level of Super Hero awesomeness. I think after I watch once it comes out on DVD my views might change a bit, but it was a great sequel, and I highly recommend it!
I loved how we got to see more of the other realms. I loved the whole medieval feel with them. :)
The start was good with the narration of the Dark elves and I was actually expecting Thor and Sif and the others fighting the bad guys at the start to be at the end of the movie. I was seriously disgusted with Erik Selvig, I mean dude, you soooo totally shouldn't have throw away your medicine, you definitely needed it. That has got to be my biggest complaint, it kept going back to that! And we didn't need to be reminded about it!
They totally look like they trust each other, right?
We got to explore the relationship between Thor and Loki some more, (awesome stuff!) and got introduced to some new characters (Ian) and some which did not have very much in the previous Thor film such as Darcy and Thor's Mum.

Thor was very impressive. As always. :) It was nice to see him on his own home turf. He has indeed grown from the spoiled, self-centered boy, that he was in the first Thor film. I loved how he had matured, you could see that by the way he treated Odin instead of telling him how he was 'an old man and a fool!' as he did in Thor 1. He was not entirely gone with his rebelliousness, he still has a streak of it. He wouldn't have left Asgard unless there was no other better way for helping Jane, which there obviously wasn't. His relationship with Loki was interesting. When he went down to Loki's cell and told him to 'stop pretending' or whatever the line was and we actually see Loki as he is. He obviously has had enough of Loki's trick and is wary of it.
He still has that Thor characteristics as in the first film, like him hanging up his hammer on the hat rack and is still not that comfortable with modern things. He may not understand how the scientific things work, but he has faith in Jane and her abilities.


Jane was a bit better than in the first film. She is not my favourite Marvel lady, it has to be admitted. Pepper Potts holds that. She should have had a bit more character depth to her. But she did play her role well. And like James pointed out she did have more of a reason to be in the film than in the previous film and wasn't just a love interest. I couldn't believe when I first saw her that she was actually on a date! Seriously! Aren't you waiting for Thor?! I know it's been two years and all, but you stoop to the level of a guy like this? Not that he wasn't nice, but he's not Thor. She is rather brainy when it comes to science (she's a scientist) my favourite part with her is when the Asgardian nurses? are examining her, and she asks if something is what she thought it was, and they're like n, its not, and they use a different name for it and she just like yeah it is. :) Watching her punch Loki was good as well.
This bit. Starts laughing! 
Loki was at his best in this movie. Dare I say that I loved him? This was his best role out of Thor, The Avengers, and Thor: The Dark World. I loved it how he didn't seem to care that they were attacking Asgard, but kill his Mother and you are all dead meat! It was nice to see him and Thor (mostly) working together. It was great when he tries to introduce himself to Jane and she just punches him. :) Good times. And back-seat drivers are very irritating. The best part with Loki, besides the Thor and Loki vs. Dark Elves showdown, was when we had him morphing into other people, and Thor was Sif. I laughed so much when he turned into Captain America, even after that I was still chuckling about it. :) I think I was pretty upset about his 'death'. He wasn't all bad. He's just not Thor. And how does that work at the end? Did he kill Odin or what?

Malkieth was not the best Marvel villain, I've gotta say. Yes, he was after power, as all villains are but he did not have the same back story, he was sort of just there. He was a good villain though when it comes to being creepy and freaking out everyone within a ten mile radius. He was just after power though, and did not really have an inner fury driving him like some of the other villains. He couldn't even hold his own against Frigga but needed his own body guard to kill her. Something which I will never forgive him for. Also I found the fact that he spoke in a different language most of the time, decidedly creepy. So yes, he was a good villain but no the best. A definition of Malkieth is that he is a creep.


Darcy was better in this movie. Maybe a little brighter perhaps? But not by much. :) I loved how she now has her own intern. Ian, who she just calls intern. It was great how she just is like 'Hey I'm Darcy' when Jane is out on her date. :) So she was better, but still the Darcy that we know and love from the first movie.

Frigga and Odin: Husband and wife. King and Queen.

Odin was really irritating in this movie. And a bit insulting too. Rather harsh when it came to Thor's liking Jane and his total unhelpful attitude with what to do with the Aether that was surging through Jane's veins. Of course it is probably a bit more understanding when we realise that he is rather grief-stricken with the loss of his wife. What guy wouldn't?

Frigga was awesome! I loved her! I really began to like her and then she died. :( But she fought Malkieth and triumphed! The funeral was good to watch as well, though melancholy.


Other characters: Erik Selvig, I seriously hated him in this movie! Seriously he was sooooo weird! Heimdall was better. I liked it how Thor always went to him and asked how Jane was. I also liked it how he saw the invisible Dark Elves ship thingie and climbed quickly to get rid of it. He also was happy to help Thor, even if it meant treason. Ian was an interesting, new character. He and Darcy compliment each other. They are both just as stupid. :) 'Did you just throw the car keys?'

Lady Sif had less screen time than I had anticipated. I would have liked to see more of her.

Also of the Warriors Three. I was glad that they had the final battle in England, a nice change from the American look, don't you think?

Favourtie quotes: All the banter between Thor and Loki was very entertaining. Stuff like this:
[Thor and Loki commandeer a Harrow] Loki: Look, why don't you let me take over? I'm clearly the best pilot! Thor: Is that right? Out of the two of us, which one can ACTUALLY fly?
[the Harrow takes out a building] Thor: Not a word..

 Loki: This is so unlike you, brother. So... clandestine. Are you sure you wouldn't rather punch your way out?
Thor: If you keep talking, I might.

 “It’s only because I’m worried for you that you’ve survived.”-Frigga

Thor: If you betray me, I will kill you.
Sif: If you betray him, I will kill you.
Volstagg: If you betray him...
Loki: You'll kill me? Evidently there will be a line.
Awkward

 Jane Foster: Is that a quantum field generator?
Nurse: It's a soul forge.
Jane Foster: Well, does a soul forge transfer molecular energy from one object to another.
Nurse: Yes.
Jane Foster: Hmm. Quantum field generator.

 Loki: Let's have a delightful chat about patriotism, and justice, and freedom! God bless America! Cannot stop chuckling over this one. :)

 Loki: I think you missed a column.
Thor: Shut up!

 Loki: Well done. You just decapitated your grandfather.

 Loki: Now they're firing at us!
Thor: Yes, thank you for the commentary, Loki. It isn't at all distracting.

*sniff*

Anyway to finish this off. Thor: The Dark World is an excellent sequel to its predecessor. A movie worthy to be called a Marvel. And it was very, very cool, entertaining, a great plot-line and great characters and an all around excellent film. One thing though, they have got to have another movie with Loki in it! They have to!
And now, to wait for it on DVD.
What do you guys think?

God Bless
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh darn I did not realize just how much I was missing! All those lines are hilarious, but I only heard about a third of them in the theater. Your post reminded me that there were things I liked, however I still think it got overshadowed by the melodrama...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! Fantastic movie. What happened to Odin is killing me!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JT Wow! You missed all of that?
    I thought it was a excellent movie, but we are all allowed to disagree. Perhaps it will be better when it comes out on DVD and you can pause and play at your leisure.

    @Benjamin, I know! And we have no idea what happened. Maybe Loki killed him or mybe Odin was just letting him do it?! I have no idea!

    Thanks for the comments, guys!
    God Bless,
    Vellvin.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, please do comment won't you.? :)
I enjoy reading every single one, though I might not reply to them very quickly, be assured that I read and enjoyed each one.
God Bless! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...